In the lighting design elective of the faculty Industrial Design Engineering students learn to compose and elaborate a lighting plan or installation for a real-world challenge. Light is hard to design because intangible and often behaving in unexpected ways due to complicated interactions with materials and architectural structures, both in digital models and real environments. Designing light demands a lot of hands-on experimenting in addition to specialized technical and neuro-psycho-social knowledge. In this elective the students get a first introduction to this field and its players, via lectures by researchers and practitioners, workshops, individual and group assignments. Here we present abstracts of the concepts that resulted from the student groups’ explorations.
They worked on group assignments involving design challenges such as:
- How can a lighting atmosphere induce a certain mood or express a meaning?
- How can we reduce light pollution, or design for darkness, but still create a safely perceived environment?
- How can we use daylighting while controlling light levels, temperature, and beauty?
- How can we design biophylic lighting for pleasurable and comfortable waking, sleeping and light therapy?
- How can lighting and visual stimulation induce activations in another sensory channel?
Discover the four groups who made designs for Highlight Delft
About TU Delft – Course Lighting Design
This course is organized by Prof. Dr. Ir. Sylvia Pont and Charl Smit MSc PDeng. Sylvia Pont is a professor at TU Delft, leading the Perceptual Intelligence lab, Industrial Design Engineering, and teaching lighting design and other human centered design courses. Charl Smit is a professional lighting designer and co-teaches the lighting design course.
- Daylighting Innovations: Caleb Amanfu, Rakesh Patel, Béla Steiner & Zhenyang Zhang
- Do you see the ‘Pechgeneratie’?: Raf Baljet, Joep Dortmans, Jenske Goossens, Daniel Ouwehand & Jens Roethof (Highlight Delft assignment)
- LED it Bee: A modular biophilic lamp to brighten winter days: Jannieke den Breeje, David Cheng, Jasmijn Mortier & Florian Schimmel
- Wat? Water!: Dilara Bora, Arturo Briasco, Nayoung Jung & Gül Onat (Highlight Delft assignment)
- FF DIMMEN: Brian Holtkamp, Fleur van de Klashorst, Marjolein Laan, Rachel Prud‘homme van Reine & Rik de Vos (Highlight Delft assignment)
- photosyntheSIPS: Keyue Bao, Noor-ul-Ain Javed, Kyara de Jong, Kashish Ramrakhiani & Shourui Zou (Highlight Delft assignment)
- To awaken your inner child and beyond: Sebastiaan Benjamins, Kumsal Kurt, Tanja Overbeek, Frédérique Pel & Hui-Ru Yang
- Fireflies: Lieneke Cazemier, Christiaan Hoogstraten, Florance Kao & Teun van Woudenberg